- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one can of chickpeas), reserve liquid, then rinse and drain
- 3 tablespoon reserved chickpea liquid (aquafaba)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1⁄2 lemon
- pinch of sea salt, to tast
- pinch of cayenne pepper (start with less, season to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the sweet potatoes on the middle oven rack or in a baking dish for 45 minutes to an hour. They should yield to a gentle squeeze when they’re done baking.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling, toss all of the other ingredients into a food processor. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled enough to handle, use a knife or your fingers to peel the skin off of them. Add the sweet potatoes to the food processor.
- Blend well (taste and adjust spices as desired), then serve!
Yield: 3-4 cups hummus
Adapted from Cookie and Kate/My New Roots
Did You Try This Recipe?
How did this recipe work out for you? Leave a comment below or share it on social media.