- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed, liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pressed or minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, packed in water
Place all ingredients, except reserved bean liquid, in food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add reserved bean liquid as needed for a smoother consistency.
Spread hummus on whole-wheat pita bread or serve as a dip for vegetables. This version is lower in fat than most commercial varieties, which is important when it comes to reducing hormone-dependent cancer risk and keeping your immune system operating smoothly.
Per serving: 80 calories, 3.9 g protein, 12.5 g carbohydrate, 1.4 g sugar, 2.1 g fat, 23% calories from fat, 2.8 g fiber, 32 mg sodium
Source: The Survivor’s Handbook: Eating Right for Cancer Survival by Neal D. Barnard, M.D., and Jennifer Reilly, R.D