- Flour (1 1/4 c (156 g))
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (1/4 c (22 g))
- Baking powder (1 1/4 tsp (6.2 mL))
- Ground cinnamon (1 tsp (5 mL))
- Baking soda (3/4 tsp (3.8 mL))
- Iodized salt (1/2 tsp (2.5 mL))
- Ripe banana (1)
- Applesauce (1/2 c (120 mL))
- Brown sugar (4 tbsp (36 g))
- Chocolate soy or almond milk (1/4 c (60 mL))
- Vanilla extract (1 tsp (5 mL))
- Shredded zucchini (1 c (124 g))
- Chocolate Avocado Frosting or strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C) and line a muffin pan with paper liners or silicone cups or use a nonstick pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mash banana with applesauce and sugar.
- Add milk, vanilla, and zucchini, and stir until evenly combined. Add dry ingredients in 3-4 batches and stir until just combined. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake 18-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely. Spread with Chocolate Avocado Frosting or strawberry jam.
- Chocolate Avocado Frosting: Prepare just before spreading on cupcakes. Combine 1 ripe avocado with 3-4 tbsp (45-60 mL) each unsweetened cocoa powder and pure maple syrup in a food processor. Process until completely smooth, adding a tiny bit of soy or almond milk if needed for consistency. Taste, adding more cocoa or maple syrup to taste, plus a pinch of salt, if desired. You can also add a few dashes of cinnamon or a few drops of vanilla extract.
Per serving: Calories: 156
- Fat: 2.5 g (Saturated Fat: 0.5 g Calories From Fat: 13%)
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrate: 33 g
- Sugar: 17 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sodium: 236 mg
- Calcium: 70 mg
- Iron: 1.3 mg
- Vitamin C: 3 mg
- Beta-Carotene: 69 mcg
- Vitamin E: 0.2 mg
Did You Try This Recipe?
How did this recipe work out for you? Leave a comment below or share it on social media.