- 2 chipotle peppers
- + 2 tablespoons of sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (20-ounce) can un-ripe jackfruit, drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons vegan mayo
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slider buns or 6 hamburger buns
- Desired fixings: pickles, mustard, serrano peppers, etc.
- Make the BBQ sauce: In a food processor, blend the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, mustard, paprika, cumin, and a few grinds of pepper until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare the jackfruit by pulling shredding the pieces with your hands, discarding any harder pieces of the core. In a large skillet, heat 1⁄4 cup broth to medium heat. Add the sliced onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes, turning down the heat as necessary. Next, add the shredded jackfruit and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add a splash of water to keep it from sticking to the pan. Stir in the 1/2 cup water and half of the BBQ sauce. Turn the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and stir in half of the remaining BBQ sauce, reserving the rest for serving.
- Make the slaw: In a medium-large bowl, combine the cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, vegan mayo, and pinches of salt and pepper.
- Serve the sliders with the jackfruit, the remaining BBQ sauce, the slaw, and desired fixings.
These BBQ jackfruit sandwiches are the ultimate party dish. Prep the components ahead of time, and heat the jackfruit and assemble the sandwiches right before serving!
Did You Try This Recipe?
How did this recipe work out for you? Leave a comment below or share it on social media.